This year I only want to be around people that love me, not those that pretend they do.Unknown
“But she wouldn’t do that to me, we have been friends for so long. ” A common tale. As social animals, man tends to reach out to those around them to establish bonds called friendship but in today’s society, most of these ties have become emotionally draining and don’t necessarily give you the zeal to associate.
These days, you may think you know someone so well. You think there isn’t a knife in your back. And then they twist it. (popularly known as backstabbing.)
I am sure most of you know how to identify fake friends so I won’t get deep into it. (unless otherwise)
A scene from F. R. I. E. N. D. S (a popular series)
Once we leave high school, we see who your real friends are. You learn that people change. Someone who you thought was your best friend will cut you off completely. Some of us enter high school with plenty of friends and end with only a few close ones. Others of us enter high school with only a few close friends and end with no friends at all. It’s just how life is. It’s like that sometimes. It is awful but it happens to almost everyone.
But then the big questions are:
Are you a real friend to your friends? Are these real friends to you?
Identify your real friends then try to keep them so that you don’t keep the cycle of fake friends going.
1. Be kind to your friends and listen to them. Discarding your friends’ opinions or concerns can get you a spot as a fake friend especially if your friend is usually on the listening end of your troubles so try to listen to them even if you feel like what they are saying to you is not so relevant.
2. When a person trusts you, value that trust. Getting to trust someone is not easy so when someone entrusts you with information or a secret, treasure that and do not tell on them. Betraying someone is one of the traits of a fake friend.
3. Do not try to be friends with everyone. I read a quote somewhere that said, “A friend to all is a friend to none. ” and I concur. I believe that no one would want to trust someone that seems to talk to everyone just in case their secrets get out. One thing to remember also is a smaller circle only means less drama.
4. Do not get in to a friendship based on expectations. If you are with someone for something other than love and mutual understanding, then I’ll have you know that you have merely made that person your acquaintance and you should not make them rely on you as a friend.
5. Love and love genuinely. Love from the bottom of your heart. Love unconditionally. Love even in their toughest moments. Real friends are always there no matter how hard a situation is.
Real friends contribute to someone having mental peace and if you aren’t one, please stop keeping someone up all night thinking they have something wrong with them. Be all in or not at all and see how your friendships get better.
I’ll expand on this topic if need be.
To your health ❤