“And if I asked you to name all the things that you love, how long would you take to say your name?”
I don’t know about you but I’ve had days where I have woken up, and looked in the mirror and not liked what I see.
I’ve had days when I sat in my room obsessing over the fact that I didn’t look a certain type of way and all I can say is it is not a great feeling.
One of the reasons I actually wrote this post was because of a tweet I read. It spoke to me.
Stop putting things before yourself.
(I defined clout in one of my Posts)
Self love comes with knowing the real you. You cannot love something or someone you do not know so in the same way, get to know yourself. That way, you’ll be able to love yourself .
Exploring who you are is no easy feat. Honestly! But I am here to help you figure it out.
First I want to give you some things to remember. As you progress in this journey of life, you need to have a strong mindset.
- Self love has nothing to do with others. Respect yourself and exhibit some sort of self-esteem. Knowing that no matter what cruel things the world may throw your way, you are a unique individual with complexity that needs not to be understood. We are our own biggest critic but don’t critique yourself into depression. We all have depressive moments often in our lives, make sure to love your self when it seems as if nothing else in the world has love to give.
- Make yourself a priority. Be kind to others but if something isn’t kind to your soul, don’t engage in it.
- Remember you are stuck with yourself forever. Most people and things that we have in our lives are temporary and they are just passing by.
- You are enough. Have always been and you will always be. One of the positive affirmations I tell myself when I feel low or not good enough. Short as it may seem, it goes a long way in making you feel worthy.
- In order to love yourself, you cannot hate the experiences that shaped you. Embrace your past and the lessons it taught you. That way you make peace with it and it can’t make you feel worse.
So some of the ways you can start your self love journey are right here and they don’t cost a penny.
- Get enough rest. Sleep, take power naps or whatever gets your body some rest. That way, you get up feeling better and ready to tackle your challenges.
- Exercise and drink a lot of water. The body is ours to take care of and if we don’t keep it in good shape and a healthy state, we definitely end up feeling worse about ourselves.
- Keep a journal. I know some people do not like writing that much but one thing about keeping a journal is that it is at your own pace. You don’t need to write in it everyday and you get to add whatever you feel like. If you’re wondering what to write in it, try writing what you love about yourself or the good things in your life, your dreams and aspirations, your to do list or any random stuff you see when you go out in the world. When you regularly do that, trust me you’ll be able to get stuff off your mind and in to your trusty journal.
- Make a list of positive affirmations and read it everyday. Even better, you could record it and listen to it whenever you feel low. If you aren’t your number one support system, then other people can not be able to support you that well. (refer to the above image for some examples.)
- Know what you want and don’t settle for less. Sometimes we take what’s on the table when we don’t have many options but when you are in control, never ever let yourself get half things. It’s like putting so much effort in to making a cake and you let it come out half baked. Do not accept half love, half friendships, half relationships. Generally anything that doesn’t make you feel so good about yourself shouldn’t be in your life.
- That takes us to the next point. Surround yourself with people that make you feel better. Be it friends, partners and even family. You have the right to choose who goes and who stays. It’s your life after all.
- Take care of yourself. This can be in the small ways like getting up, saying a prayer, washing up and dressing nice. It goes all the way to buying Yourself something nice or taking yourself on a vacation. Treat yourself right.
- In the world we live in today, social media has brought up most of the issues people face concerning self love. So take a break. I discussed This is in Confessions of a Socialholic. Do check it out if you need it.
- Make a playlist for yourself. Music is a drug. It’s like therapy. I have a couple of friends that say music healed them and it helps me too. There’s no greater joy than plugging in your earphones and vibing to something beautiful. It helps you to also get in tune with your soul. I shall compile a playlist in the next post with a couple of self love songs from different genres to start with.
I know it is hard, but if you are trying, that is enough.
You are enough.
To your health ❤